1. Slice 1/4 inch off end of watermelon to provide a stable base.
2. Use pencil to draw the face, making adjustments in scale to your particular watermelon.
3. Use melon-baller to scoop out nostrils; use small paring knife to clean up edges.
4. Next, use paring knife to cut out the inside mouth area, leaving room for the teeth. Cut individual teeth, using the same small paring knife, and use a spoon to dig out a large area of flesh for the mouth cavity.
5. Carve out eyes, digging a deep cavity in each, for drama. Use a channel knife to carve details.
6. Use some carved out pieces to cut a “bone” decoration for top of head, and attach with a toothpick.